The Department of Chemistry is one among the departments that were started in the inception year of Palamuru University. The Department of Chemistry has well qualified and experienced faculty. They offer effective teaching and carry out purposeful research. The department offers PG course in chemistry with organic chemistry as specialization. The Department has well equipped laboratories and adequately stacked departmental library. Extension/guest lectures are being arranged by the experts from academia and industry to acquaint the students of latest developments.
DST-INSPIRE-SHE research programme is actively engaged in carrying out research. The department is presently working in the thrust areas like Synthesis of Heterocyclic compounds of medicinal importance, Design and synthesis of nanomaterials by eco-friendly methodologies using biological components, Water disinfection and decontamination using nano-composites, alternate sources of energy and exploration of secondary metabolites from plants. INSPIRE research scholars and faculty enthusiastically present papers at various national, international seminars and conferences and publish their research contributions in reputed National and International journals.
M.Sc Chemistry is a two year post graduation course with Organic Chemistry as Specialization with an intake of 30 students per year. The department has well equipped laboratories to carry out the experiments in subjects of Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry.
The department has separate research laboratories. Equipment like UV-Visible spectrophotometer, laminar air flow setup and rotary evaporator are available. Audio - Visual aids for effective teaching are available. Molecular Models are used to teach certain difficult topics.
- Extension/guest lectures are being arranged by the experts from academia and industry to make the students aware of latest developments.
- The Chemistry Department graduates about 30 students per year.
- On an average, about one-third of students opt for Ph.D. programs.
- Students get placements in reputed industries of private and government sector.
- Since inception the faculty of the department published research papers in peer-reviewed journals with high impact factor.
- Twelve students have qualified CSIR-JRF, five students NET/SET. Twenty other students got through competitive examinations and around 25 students opted teaching profession.
- One student is pursing research under DST-INSPIRE-AORC Fellowship.
- Students of our department actively participate in NSS activities.