NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME-(NSS) CELL
National Service Scheme (NSS) is a student-centered programme which is complementary to academics. It inculcates the spirit of voluntary work among students and teachers through sustained community interaction and brings academic institutions closer to the society. It is a link between the campus and community, the college and village, knowledge and action. The overall aim of NSS is "Personality Development of students through community service." National Service Scheme, popularly known as NSS, was formally launched on 24th September, 1969, the birth centenary of Mahatma Gandhi, Father of the Nation. Starting with an enrolment of 40000 students in 37 Universities covering all states, the coverage of NSS students increased to about 26.6 lakhs (2006-07) in 198 Universities, 9117 colleges, 1196 Technical Institutions, 7542 Plus Two Schools and 41 Plus Two Vocational Higher Secondary Directorates. During its 39 years of fruitful existence more than 2.7crore students have so far benefited from this largest student-volunteership programme in the world.
NSS CELL OF PALAMURU UNIVERSITY
The activities of NSS Cell of Palamuru University are coordinated by Dr.K.Praveena as the Coordinator who is an Asst. Professor, Department of Physics. The National Service Scheme (NSS) Cell of Palamuru University entered into the Guinness Book of World Records for the event, "Largest Barefoot Walk" on 12 th November, 2010. In the entire history of NSS in the whole country, the only NSS Cell of Palamuru University has been able to achieve such a rare feat. Besides this, the NSS Cell of Palamuru University also achieved the prestigious India Book Record for the "Highest Adventure Camp for the University Students" by participating in a six day adventure camp for university students under the scheme "Youth to the Edge" starting from April, 13, 2012 and ending on April 18, 2012 at Mayudia (3000 Metres above the sea level). Today, the NSS Cell has 111 Units under its umbrella which are vibrantly rendering their services very uniquely in the districts of Mahabubnagar, Nagar Kurnool, Wanaparthy & Jogulamba Gadwal. Because of the active role of the NSS Cell, Prasamsa Book of Records, Andhra Pradesh conferred the title "Maha Maha" to Palamuru University and "Sangh Mitra" title to the Vice Chancellor, the Registrar, the Programme Coordinator and the NSS Programme Officers.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NSS CELL
- Achieved the prestigious Guinness World Record in the event namely, "Largest Barefoot Walk" on 12 th November, 2010.
- Made its name into the celebrated India Book of Records for the "Highest Adventure Camp for the University Students" in 2012.
- The Volunteers take part in the prominent Republic Day Parade every year.
- The Volunteers take part in the National and State level Youth Festivals every year.
- The NSS Volunteers do an amazing service at the sacred Krishna Pushkaras, Brahmotsavams of Manyamkonda and Kurumurthy Jatharas.
- The NSS Cell takes up the prestigious Telanganaku Haritaharam Plantation Programme in its jurisdiction.